Thursday, May 10, 2012

HoldFast Gear RuckStrap Unboxing, Review and gallery

I am not exactly sure how I learned about HoldFast products, but it was probably from someone I follow on Twitter. As soon as I looked at the products page I was hooked. I had been searching and searching for a camera strap that could hold business cards and other items and I honestly could not find anything of quality so when I saw the RuckStrap, I had to buy it as a replacement for the Nikon strap that came with my D5100.

I love small companies and I love when someone creates a quality product that is unique, well made and functional and that is a great way to describe the RuckStrap.

My overall experience:  I contacted Matthew Swaggart, CEO of Holdfast and asked him if they had the RuckStrap available for sale and he was nice enough to make a pre-production unit available for me to buy.  He sent me a paypal link and within a few days it was in the mail.  I got my box in about 4 days.



I opened the box to a nicely leather wrapped package.


Upon unwrapping the paper I found a soft and warm to the touch camera strap. I was really expecting something that would take some time to "break in" but in reality it just isn't needed.

As the following photos will show, the attention to detail can be seen in every aspect of the RuckStrap


The brass buckles are solid and well made. The holes are places well and the leather is thick.
Quality stitching that I expect to last a very long time


On one side of the strap you will find a pouch to hold business cards and batteries held by a solid snap. On the other side is an elastic strip that is open on both ends.  You could use it for batteries, or maybe even loop something through it.

Overall length is perfect for me, and I am a pretty large guy at 6 feet tall.
On the other side of the strap is a soft strip for your neck. Very comfy.

Attaching the strap to my Nikon D5100 seemed to work best by using the provided metal rings rather then running the leather through the hooks built into the camera.  The leather was just a little too wide to run directly through the camera.  The metal rings seemed to give the camera good stability still and flexible movement.




Business card holder has a lot of room
Overall I highly recommend HoldFast and the RuckStrap. Do yourself a favor and check out the product line.

(Images taken with Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm Kit lens and with an iPhone 4S)

No comments:

Post a Comment